This material may not be copied, sold or bartered without Jewish Gen, Inc.'s permission. The reader may wish to refer to the original material for verification.
Between 16, Cmielow was badly damaged by the Swedish invaders.
A few years after the first Swedish war, in 1663, the town numbered 373 inhabitants and 44 houses.
In the beginning of the 18th century, Cmielow became noted throughout Poland for its pottery production that began to develop very rapidly.
The town already had a Catholic church in the 13th century.
At first, Cmielow was a village settlement, but in 1505, King Alexander Jagello granted it city rights and built a castle on an island in its vicinity.
In 1661, King John II Casimir [1648-1668] granted it city privileges and added the right to hold seven fairs a year.
There were then 77 craftsmen including 4 distillers of whisky and one producer of pitch.
Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission to put this material on the Jewish Gen web site.
Our appreciation to Sandy Zimmerman, who allowed us to publish the translations which were done by Shalom Bronstein for her private use.